Important Tips for Shipping Internationally
It is very important to be aware that all packages shipping internationally go through customs. Unless you are shipping documents only, a commercial invoice is required. This is not a regular invoice between you and your receiver. It is a specific customs document that must contain the following information:
- Name of product
- Brief description
- Reason for Export (I.e. permanent, temporary, return, gift)
- Currency (i.e. is value in CDN or US dollars)
- Country of Origin
You cannot just write “sample” or “part” or “gift”. A description of the item is required. In addition, if you are shipping anything with fabric (i.e. clothing, banners etc) the type of fabric is required.
The more information that is provided, the less chance your package will get delayed at customs.
If you have the HS code, please include it, if not, whoever clears your package will find it, but it could cause a delay.
If you have a tax ID for the shipper or receiver, please include it, especially if this is a high value shipment. If you don’t have it and it is required, it will cause a delay at customs.
It is important to be aware that every country has their own specific requirements for importing different products.
Here are some regulations that we have come across while helping our customers shipping internationally:
- Spain: No food products can be shipped to an individual. It must go to a company that is registered to have the right to import food.
- Russia: Can ONLY ship Documents to Individuals, not any type of product
- Europe: Shipping to AMAZON in Europe, you must do the following:
- Must have a EORI Number
- Amazon can NOT be the IOR ( Importer On Record)
- Make sure you make a commercial invoice on Flagship’s online shipping system so it can show in UPS system that taxes and Duties are paid by Shipper. You are able to use your own commercial invoice if you desire, but you still must fill out the commercial invoice on the FlagShip system so that the correct information is sent to UPS.
- Europe: When sending articles that are defective, include the following with your Commercial Invoice,
- Original receipt and documents (ex. Commercial Invoice)
- On the Return Commercial Invoice , must indicate in the description if the product is being return for a replacement, or if it will be repaired and sent back to you, REASON: Temporary
- U.S.: Shipping anything with a battery, Can only import into US small devices with Lithium Ex. Laptop, Cell Phone ect.
*Here is the guideline for amount for Lithium battery:
*21 Watts Per Cell
*100 Watts Per Hour